Operation Chrome Dome The Alert Years a USAF Production
OPERATION CHROME DOME MAP SHEPPARD AFB
|1966 overview of Operation Chrome Dome related or derivative flights|
- Strategic Air Command Divisions:
- Homestead Air Force Base
- Strategic Air Command in the United Kingdom
- 2nd Bomb Wing, 62nd Bomb Squadron Barksdale AFB, Shreveport, LA
- Strategic Air Command 42 Bomb Wing Loring AFB, Limestone, Maine
- 1961 Goldsboro B-52 crash
- 1961 Yuba City B-52 crash
- 1964 Savage Mountain B-52 crash[Notes 1]
- 1966 Palomares B-52 crash
- 1968 Thule Air Base B-52 crash. The Thule accident signaled the end of the program on January 22, 1968.
- Accident happened while the aircraft was returning to its home base, having already completed its alert mission.
- Croddy, Eric; Wirtz, James J. (2005). Weapons of Mass Destruction. ABC-CLIO. ISBN 1-85109-490-3.
The U.S. alert operation, code-named Chrome Dome, was a realistic training mission
- USAF: Lakenheath AFB Libery Wing
- "SAC AIRBORNE ALERT". National Museum of the United States Air Force. 14 January 2009. Archived from the original on 2009-01-14. Retrieved 19 February 2013.
- US Nuclear Weapons Deployments Disclosed, Nautilus Institute
History of the Custody and Deployment of Nuclear Weapons: July 1945 to September 1977
- Nautilus.org: Chrome Dome Route Map
- The Goldsboro Broken Arrow, 2011, ISBN 978-1-257-86952-7