|HERE A BOMARC MISSILE AT SUFFOLK COUNTY AFB|
IS SHOWN IN ITS LAUNCH SHED WITH ROOF RETRACTED
The Bomarc was the only surface-to-air missile ever deployed by the U.S. Air Force. All other U.S. land-based SAMs were and are under the control of the U.S. Army.
In 1946, Boeing started to study surface-to-air guided missiles under the USAAF project MX-606. By 1950, Boeing had launched more than 100 test rockets in various configurations, all under the designator XSAM-A-1GAPA (Ground-to-Air Pilotless Aircraft). Because these tests were very promising, Boeing received a USAF contract in 1949 to develop a pilotless interceptor (a term then used by the USAF for air-defense guided missiles) under project MX-1599. The MX-1599 missile was to be a ramjet-powered, nuclear-armed long-range surface-to-air missile to defend the continental USA from high-flying bombers. The Michigan Aerospace Research Center (MARC) was added to the project soon afterwards, and this gave the new missile its name Bomarc (for Boeing and MARC). In 1951, the USAF decided to emphasize its point of view that missiles were nothing else than pilotless aircraft by assigning aircraft designators to its missile projects, and anti-aircraft missiles received F-for-Fighter designations. The Bomarc became the F-99.
Test flights of XF-99 test vehicles began in September 1952 and continued through early 1955. The XF-99 tested only the liquid-fueled booster rocket, which would accelerate the missile to ramjet ignition speed. In February 1955, tests of the XF-99A propulsion test vehicles began. These included live ramjets, but still had no guidance system or warhead. The designation YF-99A had been reserved for the operational test vehicles. In August 1955, the USAF discontinued the use of aircraft-like type designators for missiles, and the XF-99A and YF-99A became XIM-99A and YIM-99A, respectively. Originally the USAF had allocated the designationIM-69, but this was changed (possibly at Boeing's request to keep number 99) to IM-99 in October 1955. In October 1957, the first YIM-99A production-representative prototype flew with full guidance, and succeeded to pass the target within destructive range. In late 1957, Boeing received the production contract for the IM-99A Bomarc A interceptor missile, and in September 1959, the first IM-99A squadron became operational
The operational IM-99A missiles were based horizontally in semi-hardened shelters ("coffins"). After the launch order, the shelter's roof would slide open, and the missile raised to the vertical. After the missile was supplied with fuel for the booster rocket, it would be launched by the Aerojet General LR59-AJ-13 booster. After supersonic speed was reached, the Marquardt RJ43-MA-3 ramjets would ignite and propel the missile to its cruise speed and altitude of Mach 2.8 at 20000 m (65000 ft). The Bomarc was guided to the target by ground commands from SAGE (Semi-Automatic Ground Environment), whose long-range radars tracked the enemy aircraft and the interceptor aircraft and missiles. When the Bomarc was within 16 km (10 miles) of the target, its own Westinghouse AN/DPN-34 radar guided the missile to the interception point. The maximum range of the IM-99A was 400 km (250 miles), and it was fitted with either a conventional high-explosive or a 10 kT W-40 nuclear fission warhead.
In June 1963, the IM-99A and IM-99B missiles were redesignated as CIM-10A and CIM-10B, respectively. The Bomarc A was retired soon afterwards, the last CIM-10A being phased out in December 1964. Withdrawal of the CIM-10B also began in the mid-1960s, and by 1969 most missile sites had been deactivated. Finally, in April 1972, the last Bomarc B in USAF service was retired. The Bomarc, designed to intercept relatively slow manned bombers, had become a useless asset in the era of the intercontinental ballistic missile.
The remaining Bomarc missiles were used by all armed services as high-speed target drones for tests of other air-defense missiles. The Bomarc A and Bomarc B targets were designated as CQM-10A and CQM-10B, respectively. When production had ceased in 1965, about 700 Bomarc missiles of all versions had been built by Boeing.
SpecificationsNote: Data given by several sources show slight variations. Figures given below may therefore be inaccurate!
Data for CIM-10A/B:
|Length||14.2 m (46 ft 9 in)||13.7 m (45 ft 1 in)|
|Wingspan||5.54 m (18 ft 2 in)|
|Diameter||0.89 m (35 in)|
|Weight||7020 kg (15500 lb)||7250 kg (16000 lb)|
|Speed||Mach 2.8||Mach 3|
|Ceiling||20000 m (65000 ft)||30000 m (100000 ft)|
|Range||400 km (250 miles)||710 km (440 miles)|
|Propulsion||Boost: Aerojet General LR59-AJ-13 liquid-fuel rocket; 156 kN (35000 lb)|
Sustain: 2x Marquardt RJ43-MA-3 ramjet; 51 kN (11500 lb) each
|Boost: Thiokol M51 solid-fuel rocket; 222 kN (50000 lb)|
Sustain: 2x Marquardt RJ43-MA-7 ramjet; 53 kN (12000 lb) each
|Warhead||W-40 nuclear fission (7-10 kT); CIM-10A had option for conventional HE|
The CIM-10 Bomarc (originally IM-99) was the product of the Bomarc Missile Program. The Program was a joint United States of America--Canada effort between 1957 and 1971 to protect against the USSR bomber threat. The Bomarc was a joint development with Boeing and Michigan Aeronautical Research Center. It involved the deployment of tactical stations armed with Bomarc missiles along the east and west coasts of North America and the central areas of the continent. BOMARC and the SAGE guidance system were phased out in the early 1970s since they seemed to be ineffective and costly. Neither of these systems was ever used in combat, so while their combat effictiveness remains untested, they are still perceived as having been an important deterrent.
The supersonic Bomarc missiles were the first long-range anti-aircraft missiles in the world. They were capable of carrying conventional or nuclear warheads. Their intended role in defence was in an intrusion prevention perimeter. Bomarcs aligned on the eastern and western coasts of North America would theoretically launch and destroy enemy bombers before the bombers could drop their payloads on industrial regions.
The name Bomarc was created by merging the names of two organizations: Boeing 'BO' and the Michigan Aeronautical Research Center 'MARC'. The Program was authorized in 1949 and originally designated F-99, a fighter designation but was quickly redesignated "IM" for Interceptor Missile, retaining the -99 series number.
The "Bomarc IM-99A" was the first production Bomarc missile, test flown in February 1955. It had an operational radius of 200 miles (~320 km) and was designed to fly at Mach 2.5-2.8 at a cruising altitude of 60,000 feet (18.3 km). It was 46.6 ft (14.2 m) long and weighed 15,500 lb (7,020 kg). Its armament was either a 1,000 pound (455 kg) conventional warhead or a W40 nuclear warhead (7-10 kiloton yield). A liquid fuelled rocket engine boosted the Bomarc to Mach 2, when its Marquardt RJ43-MA-3 ramjet engines would take over for the remainder of the flight.
The Bomarc relied on the Semi Automatic Ground Environment (SAGE), an automated control system used by NORAD for detecting, tracking and intercepting enemy bomber aircraft. SAGE allowed for remote launching of the Bomarc missiles, which were housed in a constant combat-ready basis in individual launch shelters in remote areas. At the height of the program, there were 14 Bomarc sites located in the United States and two in Canada.
Boeing built 570 Bomarc missiles between 1957 and 1964, 269 CIM-10A, 301 CIM-10B.
MY HUNT FOR IMAGES OF THE
BOMARC FACILITY CONTINUES THIS PHOTO TAKEN AT THE SUFFOLK COUNTY AIR DEFENSE MISSILE SITE IS RARE THE BOMARC MISSILE WAS HOUSED IN SHEDS WITH RETRACTABLE ROOFS UPON ALERT THESE ROOFS WOULD OPEN UP ALLOWING THE BOMARC TO STAND UP IN TO ITS LAUNCH POSITION
LOCKED AND LOADED THESE BIRDS ARE READY TO FLY , THESE MISSILES WERE MORE THAN CAPABLE OF BRINGING DOWN WHATEVER THEY HUNTED
MAINTENANCESUFFOLK BOMARC SITE 1960
HEHERE A BOMARC SITS INSIDE ITS SHED ON A RACK FOR MAINTENENCE OR REMOVAL AT SUFFOLK
CAUTION-RADIOACTIVE MATERIAL SIGN ON LAUNCH SHEDS
BOMARC SPECS FROM BOEING
MODERN DAY VIEW OF THE BOMARC "GAT"SITE GROUND TO AIR TRANSMITTER
CIRCA 1961 THE BOMARC SHEDS HOUSE MISSILES WITH ATOMIC WARHEADS THE GROUND TO AIR AND RADAR BUILDING IS OPERATIONAL
2005 AERIAL VIEWS OF ONE OF THE COLD WARS IMPORTANT SENTINELS GUARDING THE NYC METRO AREA FROM RUSSIAN BOMBERS AND AIR ATTACK NOW JUST A JUNKYARD FOR COUNTY AGENCIES